Article: ARE SKIN TYPES OUTDATED? A NEW ERA FOR PERSONALIZED SKIN CARE
ARE SKIN TYPES OUTDATED? A NEW ERA FOR PERSONALIZED SKIN CARE
The concept of "skin types" has been the standard for understanding skin care. When it comes to personalized skincare, it may be more important to understand your skin and the kind of care it needs.
The History of Skin Care for Skin Types
In the past, skincare products were quite simple, and they were made for everyone. However, as the beauty industry grew, companies needed a way to make products for specific skin needs. This is where the idea of skin types came in.
One of the first people to use skin types for marketing was Helena Rubinstein in the early 1900s. This idea was useful for companies because it helped them sell more products to different groups of people.
Companies developed products for oily, dry, combination, and sensitive skin. However, the concept of skin types evolved over time, becoming more complex with subcategories like "combination" and "sensitive."
However, the traditional classification of skin types may oversimplify the complexity of individual skin characteristics.
Tests for Defining Skin TypesThere are tests to figure out your skin type, but they only give a snapshot view of your skin at one moment. What's more, how you see your own skin might not match the test results.
There have been more advanced ways to understand skin, like the Baumann Skin Typing System. But these methods are not widely accepted, and they're not easy to explain to regular people.
Skin is complex and affected by genetics, your environment, lifestyle, age, diet, and skincare habits. All these factors mean that our "skin type" can change in a short time. So, sorting people into just a few skin types is too simple.
Thinking About Skincare Concerns Rather than Skin Types
At Dubois Beauty, we consciously chose to organize our products by skin concern rather than "types." For example, you can shop for common issues, including aging, hyperpigmentation, and sensitivity. We know that people can have acne and dry skin, and knowing the products that fit your concerns allows you to mix and match the right products for you.
Creating a Personalized Skincare Routine
If you are looking for solutions to address your skincare concerns, we have a couple of options available for you:
- Answer a few short questions to find the right products for your skin's needs in our Find Your Regimen tool
- Get a custom skin consultation. Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a custom holistic consultation with an esthetician. This can be done virtually or in-person at one of our central NY spas. This consultation has a value of $95, plus you'll receive a special 15% discount on your order.
Swiss Army Knife Products: Find Products for Any Skin Concern
We founded Dubois Beauty to make skincare simple and accessible. We created many products that are "Swiss army knives." They are problem-solvers for many skincare concerns.
- RENEW Buffing Cream: gently exfoliates and cleans. Great for dry, depleted, sensitive, acneic, and aging skin.
- DEW DROPS Hydrating Serum: oil-free hydrating serum. Ideal for dry, oily, acneic, and aging skin.
- PROTECTIVE Day Cream: water-based, antioxidant-rich moisturizer. Suitable for all skin types.