Understanding Natural Ingredients
Clean and simple. That’s our motto at Dubois Beauty. We strive to create skincare products that draw from nature with the best clean ingredients to deliver exceptional results. In recent years consumers are becoming increasingly discerning about the ingredients they put on their skin. This has led to a rise in demand for skincare products using natural ingredients.
What are Natural Ingredients?
Natural skincare products include ingredients that come from nature, including herbs, flowers, roots, fruits, and even natural spring water. While there is no official definition of what does and doesn’t count as natural skin care, at Dubois Beauty we have some favorite go-to natural ingredients, as well as a long list of chemical ingredients we will never use.
Some of our Favorite Natural Ingredients
There are many natural ingredients that benefit skin health. Here is a list of some of our favorites:
- Retinol (Vitamin A): Derived from plant sources such as rosehip oil or carrot seed oil, retinol promotes cell turnover, reduces fine lines, and improves skin texture and tone. Find it in VITAL A Serum.
- Vitamin C: A potent antioxidant found in fruits like citrus and berries, vitamin C brightens the skin, promotes collagen production, and protects against environmental damage. Find it in DEFEND Antioxidant Serum.
- Niacinamide (Vitamin B3): Extracted from natural sources like yeast and green vegetables, niacinamide helps improve skin elasticity, reduces hyperpigmentation, and minimizes pore appearance. Find it in CLARITY AHA Toner.
- Hyaluronic Acid: Naturally present in the body, hyaluronic acid retains moisture, providing intense hydration, plumping the skin, and reducing the appearance of wrinkles. Find it in DEW DROPS Hydrating Serum.
- Chamomile: Known for its calming properties, chamomile soothes sensitive skin, reduces redness, and can help alleviate conditions like eczema and rosacea. Find it in MARULA BLOOM Cleansing Oil.
- Aloe Vera: Extracted from the aloe plant, aloe vera has excellent moisturizing and soothing properties. It helps heal wounds, soothes sunburns, and provides relief to irritated or inflamed skin. Find it RENEW Buffing Cream.
Ingredients We Never Use:
The other component to natural skincare products is about what is not included. We can’t mention all of the ingredients we never use in our products, because the list is too long. But here are a few common ingredients of concern and why:
- Alcohols such as methanol, isopropyl alcohol, propanol, benzyl alcohol, and SD alcohol can cause irritation, inflammation, and free-radical damage. They are also very drying and disrupt the skin barrier.
- Parabens, a chemical preservative and microbial. Studies show parabens mimic estrogen in the body and there is evidence linking them to reproductive organ harm, thyroid disruption, hormone related cancers, and obesity. Even early onset of puberty in girls according to a study published by Human Reproduction, due to the use of parabens through beauty products.
- Sulfates (Ethoxylated agents), are responsible for the bubbles and lather in a product like shampoo or cleansers, derived from petroleum and sulfur, and has been found to strip hair and the skin’s natural acid mantle. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) lists it as a known carcinogenic.
- Fragrances or perfumes typically contain phthalates and other toxic chemicals – they are known irritants and can trigger allergies and asthma.
- Formaldehydes, most notorious preservative used in history – recognized in 2015 by the American Contact Dermatitis Society as Contact Allergen of the Year. It is also globally known as a carcinogenic that can also cause nosebleeds, itchy eyes and sore throat.
- Refined Petroleum (mineral oil and paraffin), is a widely used moisturizing agent found in creams and lip balms – Not only is it important to avoid it from an environmental standpoint but the World Health Organization listed it as a carcinogenic and 2011 publication in NCBI PubMed listed mineral oil to be the greatest contaminant of the human body.
At Dubois Beauty we promise to create innovative new products with the best in natural, clean, and clinically-proven ingredients. We’re committed to continually learning and growing, so we’ll keep seeking new ingredients, learning new, clean and green best practices, and applying our best techniques and technologies to helping you find your best skin health. You can search our full line of products here: https://duboisbeauty.com/collections/featured.